Real estate agents work in precarious situations every day. From holding an open house to driving clients in their personal car, they expose themselves to dangerous situations and people they are not familiar with. Here are 5 safety tips on how to avoid risky situations when interacting with clients and holding an open house.
1. When meeting a client for the first time make sure they come to your office first so you and the rest of your colleagues can meet them. Ask them for their identification and tell them it is your company’s policy for safety reason. Get to know your client and follow your instincts.
2. When holding an open house make sure you put signs all around the area and introduce yourself to neighbors to ensure that everyone is aware you are hosting this event.
3. Check the home for all escape routes and make sure all locks are unlocked to ensure a quick escape in case of an emergency.
4. Avoid being at the home alone and always bring a colleague to help you show the home. Never walk in front of clients, but rather guide them from behind and avoid small confined rooms.
5. When the event is over, walk through the home to make sure everyone has left and been on the defensive.
While these tips may seem like common sense, it’s easy to get comfortable and let our guard down. There are risks in every job, but it’s always best to err on the side of caution. Practice these tips thoroughly and thoughtfully and they’ll soon become second nature.